Thursday, April 16, 2009

This next post is a response to John's assignment.
It is a journal entry of an American illegally entering an exclusively French-speaking part of Canada to look for work.


I can't believe I can't find any work. A college degree doesn't even mean anything in these tough economic times. I've heard there is a much better job situation in Canada, but I have no time to apply for citizenship. I believe I have no choice; I must hop the Canadian border and press my luck up there. A very close friend of mine works as a border watchman so he will do me a favor and look the other way while I go through with this. I will be leaving tomorrow. I need all the luck I can get.

I was successful in my crossing, but it was very difficult trying to find an affordable place to stay. I didn't realize everybody up here spoke only French; I feel like a latino worker migrating from Mexico. I must learn some of the basics of French. I wish I took it in high school instead of Spanish. 

Finding work without speaking French is a very difficult task. I met with 8 employers, and half of them kicked me right out upon finding out I am not familiar with speaking French. The others were very disrespectful, and I believe if they hired me, I would earn much less than somebody who spoke french.

Finally landed a job, but it was a rough day. I worked on a construction site, but I think all the Canadian workers were mocking me behind my back. I couldn't understand a word they said, so I was alone for the entire day. I don't know how much longer I can deal with this.

I can't last up here in Canada. The little extra money I make is not worth the terrible discrimination and racism. I went my whole life without this kind of discrimination, and I just don't think I can put up with it anymore. Moving back to my home is my top priority at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment